Cataract is a vision impairment that usually affects older people and is characterized by clouding of your eye’s lens, which is located on the back side of the iris and the pupil. Furthermore, the common symptoms of this are blurry vision, faded colors, double vision, unable to see clearly at night among others. In addition, animals like dogs, horses among others are all affected by this eye condition. Moreover, understanding as much as you can about cataracts is the first major step when it comes to preventing cataracts. While you can find a plethora of eye drops for cataract cure as well as medicines that can help in removing cataract in both dogs and humans, there are still a number of factors that you need to consider for preventing this disease.
Besides. numerous studies are inconclusive on cataract prevention, though many doctors agree that there are some strategies you can use for reducing the risk of cataracts and maintaining overall eye health. Read on to find out five tips for cataract prevention.
1. Balanced diet– One of the major factors that you need to take into account for preventing cataract is making sure you take a balanced diet. Moreover, a balanced diet can help your eyes as well as provide extra protection against cataracts. Furthermore, make sure you eat foods that are rich in antioxidants such as green leafy vegetables, fruits, whole grains among others. Add to that, salmon and tuna can also help in preventing cataract.
2. See your eye doctor regularly– When it comes to preventing cataract, make sure you see your eye doctor regularly. Moreover, routine visits allow your eye doctor to look for signs of cataracts, muscular degeneration among other vision disorders.
3. Stay away from potent UV rays– Without a doubt, a crucial factor that you need to take into consideration is making sure you stay away from potent UV rays. Moreover, it is also known that over exposure to sunlight can increase the risk of cataract formation. Furthermore, make sure to wear UV protecting sunglasses when you go out during the day.
4. Keep weight under control– If you want to prevent cataract, make sure you keep your weight under control. Moreover, being overweight can seriously increase your risk of developing high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, which can significantly increase your risk for cataracts.
5. Stop smoking– Another major factor that you need to consider for preventing cataract is making sure you stop smoking. Besides, smoking encourages the production of free radicals that damage the lens and membranes of your eyes.
While these were some of the tips and tricks for cataract prevention, there are many others, such as keep your diabetes under control, cut back on the cocktails, make sure you are getting enough zeaxanthin and lutein among many others. Besides, while you can find numerous eye drops to cure cataract as well as medicines that can help in removing cataract in both dogs and humans, make sure you keep in mind the above-mentioned tips and tricks for reducing your risk of cataracts and maintaining your overall eye health.